Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Do I have this right!?

Ok, the question is asking how the chloroplasts in a geranium are different from most other cellular organelles, so I took that as "How are the chloroplasts different from the other organelles in a geranium?" Is this answer right, or am I totally off?

"Colour, size, shape and function are what make chloroplasts unique. Chloroplasts are what help create food for the cells, and since the food created is green, the chloroplasts are green as well. The chloroplasts give the plant a green colour as a whole, but when examined closely, the chloroplasts are some of the only organelles that are actually green, within a plant cell. The chloroplasts were small and almost jelly-bean shaped, and when I looked through the microscope I didn't see any other organelles like the chloroplasts in the geranium cell."

If I'm totally off on something, could you tell me what it is and how 2 fix it? Thanks!

*I put this under biology because that's the unit I'm studying. I thought I'd get better results here
Do I have this right!?
no offense. but you sort of repeated the whole color green thing and well everything looks green in plant cells. if your slides were colored (each organelle having their own color) then it was artificially colored. and mitochondria are similarly shaped like chloroplast. and mitochondria also make energy as well (we just like to think it's only chloroplast, i didn't know this either until i took ap biology but plants have both mitochondria and chloroplasts)



anyways, chloroplasts have their own dna, are their own energy source, and are double membrane bounded. (and i think i'm pretty sure they can make their own proteins too)



mitochondria also are similiar in how they have their own dna, energy, and are double membrane. you'll probably learn this later about the endosymbiosis theory but it involves mitochondrias and chloroplasts. but then technically they have THEIR OWN dna, energy source, and double membrane.

No comments:

Post a Comment