Sunday, January 15, 2012

How to pinch Geraniums?

I need to pinch back some geraniums we planted to encourage more flower growth, however I don't know WHERE. Do I need to pinch it off right below where the flowers were, or should I pinch the shoot they were growing from the main stem?
How to pinch Geraniums?
You can move your PINCHING fingers along the stem where the flowers grow and leave a stump about 2.5 cm/1 in long. Leaving that stump to dry means you won't be damaging/destroying the point where the next blossoms start to develop. Also, the excess stem won't be using nutrition or moisture that the rest of the plant is craving.
Reply:I slide my fingers down the stem behind the flower and pinch as low as possible. It will work just snapping the flower off but you don't want the flowerless stem showing.



Also when you buy the new geranium before planting you should remove all open or partially opened flowers. This will let the plant put all it's strength into the root system first. That in turn will give you a better display of flowers later in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment