Sunday, January 15, 2012

How best should I start to root geraniums from cuttings?

I think I've done this years ago, but can't really remember. I've purchased a hanging planter with geraniums in it at a good price. I wanted the planter for something else. I've removed the geraniums, three plants, from the planter. Now, I want to try to either "save" the geranium plants seperately or make cuttings and start to root them.



The 3 plants roots are all tangled together, making the plants, who are not in good condition, impossible to separate without tearing the roots. The roots were already rootbound in the pot. Can I tear the plants apart and replant them separately cutting them back to new growth? Should I try to just take cuttings and root them in water? Can I do both?



How do you best start the cuttings in water?



Thanks for your help
How best should I start to root geraniums from cuttings?
You can easily do both. Take the "green" tender ends of the plants. Strip all but 2 or 3 of the leaves and place in small-necked containers with water. I use a sprig of thyme in mine with the cuttings, for some reason, things seem to root better. Place in a sunny window and keep an eye on the water level as it evaporates quickly. You will see a root system within days if the weather is warm. Not all will make it, but many will. When yo have a good root system, carefully transplant to small containers until they begin to grow well. Then yo may move them to another, larger container.

Then, when you have taken all of the cuttings you need, cut back the geranium to about 3 to 4 inches and find the base of the plants and take a sharp trowel to cut through the root ball to separate the three plants, taking as much roots per plant as you can. Place the individuals in containers with new soil and fresh organic matter, water in well and give them ample sunlight and moisture until they take off! I have found that organic fertilizers can be a bit more odoriferous, but seem to work much better for me. Container plants require more water and fertilizer than garden-bed plants, so water carefully and fertilize every few weeks as the flowers begin to form.
Reply:Mine were destroyed when a new air/heat unit was drug over them. I took the tops of the best looking pieces, cut off the bottom leaves and all of the flowers and tops and stuck them in potting soil. I made sure they stayed damp and in a month I had new growth on about 75% of them. Geraniums are very hardy so you could more than likely tear them apart and re pot them, also. Either way, they will look bad for awhile, but they will grow.
  • eye liner
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment