Sunday, January 22, 2012

Correct way to dead head geraniums?

I know geraniums must be dead headed ( or spent flowers must be removed ) in order to keep new blooms forming. My question is do you just take the flowers off and leave the area where the flowers come out - do you break it at the elbow below the flower once the flower dies? The only thing ive been doing is pulling the dead flowers off and when one of the stems that the flowers grow on dies and becomes dried out i pull it off then - but i basically comb my fingers through the plants and whatever falls off falls off - because i havent wanted to do it wrong - unfortunately they havent had many blooms this year due to this i guess because all of my other flowers rebloom constantly ( moss rose marigolds and sage ( i think thats what it is )
Correct way to dead head geraniums?
I just looked this up to see if I have been doing it correctly. This is what I read:

To properly deadhead, cut the spent stem at the point where it connects with the main stem, or the point at which there is new growth. Simply popping the dead blossoms off stems isn't good enough, and leaves the garden full of headless sticks. Plants with smaller blossoms, such as dianthus, can be cut all over, more aggressively.



The place I read this was here:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_flowers_plan...
  • oily skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment